Stevens County will be the model community in rural Minnesota, recognized for our progressive development and our innovations in renewable energy, agriculture, business, and education. We will achieve this by building upon the intellectual and social capital already present within the county, and by attracting new and diverse talent that will drive our economy and increase our population.
Unique towns and a strong work ethic
A solid base of technology and natural resources
An entrepreneurial spirit and culture of lifelong learning
Initiatives in alternative energy – wind, biomass, hydrogen and methane
A balanced lifestyle of work, worship and play in a beautiful and safe locale
A strong and diverse foundation of agriculture business, health care, and education
- By 2009 we will harness the intellectual capital of the University of Minnesota Morris, West Central Research and Outreach Center, U.S.D.A. Soils Lab, and agri-business and associates into an Innovations Incubator that will produce one new commercial venture each year.
- By 2012 a Stevens FORWARD! Community Fund of $1.5 million will help finance projects that further the destiny of the county.
- By 2010 we will create a "Green Internship / Mentor Program” that will support 20 high school and college students per year.
- By 2010 at least ten UMM graduates will gain professional employment in Stevens County that leverages their talents and provides opportunity for career advancement.
- Over the next ten years we will maintain the highest percentage of high school students in Minnesota going on to higher education (university, college, or technical college).
- By 2010 we will enhance our interconnectedness by better utilizing the technology infrastructure to create a virtual community.
- By 2013 we will have established an inclusive culture that embraces a diversity of people in our population and encourages their uniqueness to flourish and enhance our community.
- By 2015 Stevens County will be the first carbon neutral county in the world, demonstrating viable models for green housing, neighborhoods and public buildings.
- By 2012 we will have the finest retirement community in western Minnesota, attracting 20 new retirees to our community every year.
- By 2015 revitalization initiatives will energize our downtowns and retail centers, increasing commercial and retail sales.
- By 2015 we will invigorate our parks, lakes and trails to be the finest in western Minnesota.
- By 2015 we will construct an outdoor Aquatics Center that will serve Stevens County and the surrounding region.
- By 2012 we will build a stronger coalition between the University of Minnesota Morris and the region to increase enrollment to 2,100 of which 1,800 will be on-campus students.
- By 2010 an Intergovernmental Council will ratify a Statement of Interdependence that will guide us toward greater efficiencies among our public institutions and services.
Stevens FORWARD! Contact Information:
507 Atlantic Ave.
Morris, MN 56267
Phone: (320) 287-0882